Search Linux Wireless

Re: r8712u staging in kernel 3.2.9

On 03/11/2012 05:36 PM, alupu@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Larry,

A few _quick_ notes ("impressions") so you can get me more/detailed
instructions while I'm getting the hang of openSUSE :)

Could you please download a Live KDE CD from
software.opensuse.org/121/en
It should not matter whether you use the 32- or 64-bit version.
After you boot it, use the NetworkManager system tray
applet to connect to your system.
Does that work?

Yes. How? Very smoothly.

Next, use 'ps ax' to get the PID for NetworkManager and kill it.
Then try your iwconfig/ifconfig command sequence.
Does that work?

No. Same old story.
Actually, I tried the "iwconfig/ifconfig" (from the KDE terminal) first.
It didn't work so then, quite discouraged, I went to the NM above.
As I said, worked AOK, I then killed the guy, so I can try
the "iwconfig/ifconfig" again. No cigar, as I explained above.

Note: in retrospect, I'm wondering if in Knoppix what would've
happened if I had tried his graphics mode (some sort of KDE clone).
An even bigger wonder. I'll be looking into that:
When doing 'ps ...' I noticed there was a wpa_supplicant(?) running.
If that was a requirement for NM, it should've helped when I went "down"
in command (KDE terminal) mode as well. ???
I don't remember if the supplicant process was killed (as a side effect).

I know that the openSUSE Live CD works on my computer with the Rosewill device and WEP encryption. That tells me that the driver is working correctly, and that the user-space stuff is OK. Let's see if we can find what is wrong for you.

After the Live CD boots, do you see the NM applet in the lower-right hand corner of the screen?

When you click on it, do you see a list of APs that are in range?

If you click on yours, do you get a screen that wants to know the WEP key? You will need to enter the hexadecimal key, not any passphrase. You will also get a popup asking if you want to use kwallet. Say yes and give it a blank password.

Did you get a connection? Note, NM uses wpa_supplicant even for WEP. That is normal.

Larry