Search Linux Wireless

Re: r8712u staging in kernel 3.2.9

Hi Larry,

A few _quick_ notes ("impressions") so you can get me more/detailed
instructions while I'm getting the hang of openSUSE :)

> Could you please download a Live KDE CD from
> software.opensuse.org/121/en
> It should not matter whether you use the 32- or 64-bit version.
> After you boot it, use the NetworkManager system tray
> applet to connect to your system.
> Does that work?

Yes. How? Very smoothly.

> Next, use 'ps ax' to get the PID for NetworkManager and kill it.
> Then try your iwconfig/ifconfig command sequence.
> Does that work?

No. Same old story.
Actually, I tried the "iwconfig/ifconfig" (from the KDE terminal) first.
It didn't work so then, quite discouraged, I went to the NM above.
As I said, worked AOK, I then killed the guy, so I can try
the "iwconfig/ifconfig" again. No cigar, as I explained above.

Note: in retrospect, I'm wondering if in Knoppix what would've
happened if I had tried his graphics mode (some sort of KDE clone).
An even bigger wonder. I'll be looking into that:
When doing 'ps ...' I noticed there was a wpa_supplicant(?) running.
If that was a requirement for NM, it should've helped when I went "down"
in command (KDE terminal) mode as well. ???
I don't remember if the supplicant process was killed (as a side effect).

Thanks,
-- Alex