Search Linux Wireless

Re: RTL8192CU problems with EAPOL

On 01/16/2012 08:54 PM, Gerhard J Norkus wrote:
I'm using a BeagleBoard-xM with Ubuntu 11.10 on it.  The problem is with a
NetGear WNA1000M using the RTL8192CU firwmare.  I'm quite new to Linux, so
treat me gently please!  I'd really like Larry Finger to reply if possible,
since he seems to have done the most work on this.

What happens is I cannot connect to my wireless access point that has been
setup using the following hostapd.conf:

interface=wlan1
driver=nl80211
ssid=EnvisicAccessPoint
hw_mode=g
channel=1
auth_algs=3
wpa=3
wpa_passphrase=GoofyPhrase
wpa_key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
wpa_pairwise=TKIP CCMP
rsn_pairwise=CCMP
macaddr_acl=0
ignore_broadcast_ssid=0
ctrl_interface=/var/run/hostapd
ctrl_interface_group=0
eapol_key_index_workaround=0

I already have isc-dhcp-server running in the background pointing to wlan1.  I
launch hostapd using the following command:

hostapd -dd /etc/hostapd/hostapd.conf

I get a bunch of output to the console, and when I try to connect using my
Windows 7 machine, it seems like it's trying to negotiate a connection, however
it does not succeed and repeatedly gives me the following in the output log:

WPA:  00:1a:73:bb:f8:11 WPA_PTK entering state PTKSTART
wlan1:  STA 00:1a:73:bb:f8:11 WPA: sending 1/4 msg of 4-Way handshake
WPA: Send EAPOL(version=2 secure=0 mic=0 ack=1 install=0 pairwise=8...
wlan1: STA 00:1a:73:bb:f8:11 WPA:  EAPOL-Key timeout

Eventually it unauthorizes the port and deauthenticates it.  I'm not sure how
to proceed so as to get a proper connection.  My BeagleBoard has the drivers
stored at /lib/modules/3.1.6-x6/kernel/drivers/net/wireless/rtlwifi/rtl8192cu
and the firmware stored at /lib/firmware/rtlwifi.

A dump of lsmod yields the following:
Module               Size  Used by
arc4                 1195  2
rtl8192cu           89347  0
rtl8192cu_common    62334  1 rtl8192cu
rtlwifi             71274  1 rtl8192cu
mac80211           259211  3 rtl8192cu,rtl8192c_common,rtlwifi
cfg80211           164606  2 rtlwifi,mac80211
rfkill              17026  1 cfg80211
smsc95xx            10950  0
usbhid              34524  0
gpio_keys            6801  0
rtc_ds1307           6350  0
rtc_twl              4402  0

Can you point me in the right direction?  I've burned many hours on this and
would like to use this dongle for a 3D scanner we're building...

I was the person that took the Realtek vendor driver, and reworked it to meet Linux standards for kernel code; however, I have never seen any documentation on the hardware, thus my ability to fix things are limited.

I know that rtl8192cu does not work in AP mode, and I have spent some time trying to find out why, but I have had limited success. The driver transmits beacons, and starts the association process, but it never really transmits data packets. I'm certain that it is only a minor point, but so far there is no solution.

It is possible that the drivers on the Realtek site might work in AP mode, but I have no experience with that. I would certainly recommend that you try them to get your product working. As I recall, there are two varieties - one that has its own MAC layer, and the one that uses mac80211, which is the one that I converted. To use hostapd, you will need the latter.

I added my contacts at Realtek to the Cc.

Larry