Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] mac80211: Fix STA supported rate configuration with dummy entry

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 14:15, Jouni Malinen <j@xxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 01:59:45PM +0200, Arik Nemtsov wrote:
>> Note that the sta-rates are not really required before second addition
>> (which also sets them). Initially the STA is not authorized for direct
>> Tx (as determined by the WLAN_STA_TDLS_PEER_AUTH bit).
>> We don't expect direct frames during link setup.
>
> OK.. Though, there can still be some direct frames like TDLS Discovery
> Response.

You have a point there - this one is not related to link setup. At
this point we really have no idea about peer supported rates (and no
STA entry).

I just tested this with hwsim and it seems to work. The rate chosen is
the the smallest non-basic rate (haven't looked at why that happens).
With cards that use HW rate control (like wl12xx), this will of course
be implementation defined.

>> The STA is added to let us know we should drop all non-setup packets
>> between TDLS peers currently in link setup. We could have used a
>> different indication, but the STA entry is make the most sense here
>> since it is automatically cleaned up when we are disconnected from the
>> AP (as all TDLS state should be).
>
> When you say "drop", I hope you mean "buffer for later delivery" and
> when you say "non-setup packets", I hope you mean "non-setup Data
> frames" ;-).

No I mean "drop". Initially a buffer was planned, but in reality the
setup process is extremely fast. I setup iperf between two regular
stations (about 15mb/s) and proceeded to setup TDLS. I managed to lose
only about 3-4 frames each time.
Of course there may be anomalies (bad link quality etc.), but IMHO for
real-world situations the extra complexity of a buffering mechanism is
not warranted. Also higher level protocols (like TCP) will generally
make up for any loss.

I'll change the second one to "non-setup Data frames" :)

>> How about this one instead (tested hwsim with it):
>> Subject: [RFC] mac80211: init rate-control for TDLS sta when supp-rates are
>>  known
>>
>> Initialize rate control algorithms only when supported rates are known
>> for a TDLS peer sta. Direct Tx between peers is not allowed before the
>> link is enabled. In turn, this only occurs after a change_station()
>> call that sets supported rates.
>
> I guess this could be fine, too, assuming TDLS is the only use case for
> this type of changing of STA supported rates.

Currently it is - we even check this explicitly higher up in
nl80211_set_station().

Arik