Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] mac80211: Fix STA supported rate configuration with dummy entry

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 01:59:45PM +0200, Arik Nemtsov wrote:
> Note that the sta-rates are not really required before second addition
> (which also sets them). Initially the STA is not authorized for direct
> Tx (as determined by the WLAN_STA_TDLS_PEER_AUTH bit).
> We don't expect direct frames during link setup.

OK.. Though, there can still be some direct frames like TDLS Discovery
Response.

> The STA is added to let us know we should drop all non-setup packets
> between TDLS peers currently in link setup. We could have used a
> different indication, but the STA entry is make the most sense here
> since it is automatically cleaned up when we are disconnected from the
> AP (as all TDLS state should be).

When you say "drop", I hope you mean "buffer for later delivery" and
when you say "non-setup packets", I hope you mean "non-setup Data
frames" ;-).

> How about this one instead (tested hwsim with it):
> Subject: [RFC] mac80211: init rate-control for TDLS sta when supp-rates are
>  known
>
> Initialize rate control algorithms only when supported rates are known
> for a TDLS peer sta. Direct Tx between peers is not allowed before the
> link is enabled. In turn, this only occurs after a change_station()
> call that sets supported rates.

I guess this could be fine, too, assuming TDLS is the only use case for
this type of changing of STA supported rates.