Search Linux Wireless

Re: [Bug?] Machine hangs, rtl8192se possible cause

Larry Finger <Larry.Finger@...> writes:

> On 08/01/2011 06:10 PM, Jaroslaw Fedewicz wrote:
> >
> > I'm using a fairly recent version of kernel from git (I think from
> > before yesterday). The mysterious hangs were there from the beginning,
> > but it also might be partly because ATI driver was messed up too at
> > these times. Later, ati appeared fixed but the hangs wouldn't go away.
>
> If that git tree is linux-2.6, or its new name, from Linus, then you have the
> latest source.
>
> > I don't think it's a panic proper, though. Nothing ever gets logged
> > along the lines of "panic". Even if I happen to have a text mode
> > console, it just freezes. If I have a panic or an oops proper, I'm
> > also kicked out of X11 to see it by the KMS. But not in this case.
> >
> > (Also, the laptop has neither Caps Lock nor Num Lock nor Scroll Lock
> > LEDs, so I can't see if they blink.)
>
> A kernel panic never logs anything to the disk. The only place you will see it
> is on the logging console, or in netconsole output.
>
> > What raised my suspicions is that I've never seen this happen when
> > rtl8192se wasn't compiled at all or was not loaded.
> >
> > The most problematic thing is that it does not hang right away. Most
> > of the time, I see the machine go into the catatonia after quite a
> > while, and as it is not the laptop I do most of my work on, I usually
> > see it hanged when screen PM has already kicked in. So I cannot really
> > read what the log might say on the matter.
> >
> > I cannot also trigger the freeze reliably. Most of the time it happens
> > "when you are not looking at it", and it usually happens either during
> > or just after high load averages and low to none network activity (a
> > typical scenario: build a firefox from sources, go outside, come home
> > 4 hours later, the laptop is turned on but dead by hanging; no
> > messages as the screen is obviously off; a less typical scenario is to
> > freeze during startup).
> >
> > I'm the last person ever to suggest anything on the subject, but could
> > it be a problem in the card's power management?
>
> Not likely. I have three different cards with differing configurations that I
> have run for extended periods without seeing your problem. One of them is the
> same as yours.
>
> Until you get some kind of dump from the system, I'm not sure what can be done.
>
> Larry
> --

Hi,

Did you ever find any solution to this issue? Because I got very similar
problems with my laptop, which is the same as Fedewicz'.

Although the issues started to appear after I upgraded from kernel 2.6.something
to kernel 3.0.4-1. Before that I only had issues causing the laptop to freeze
after resuming form suspend or hibernation, if the rtl8192se module wasn't
unloaded before issuing pm-suspend.

I might add that the freezes have just occurred when I'm on my school's network,
using WPA2 with PEAP and MSCHAPv2. I have yet to see it freeze when connected to
a unsecured network, but that might just be an coincidence.

I don't know if I'm able to get any dumps. And I can't try to do a magic sysrq
either, as the laptop is missing the SysRq-key...

Regards,
Edwin