Search Linux Wireless

Re: About the patch: "staging: brcm80211: only enable brcmsmac if bcma is not set"

On Tue, Sep 13, 2011 at 10:23:47PM +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> W dniu 13 września 2011 19:44 użytkownik John W. Linville
> <linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> napisał:
> > On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 11:27:20PM +0200, Rafał Miłecki wrote:
> >
> >> The problem is that brcmsmac duplicates code present in the bcma
> >> driver. It doesn't use bcma bus architecture.
> >>
> >> The real solution is to add bcma driver support in brcmsmac and ssb
> >> driver support in brcmfmac. Then you can always use bcma and:
> >> 1) If b43 will load and detect unsupported PHY, it will release the BCMA's core
> >> 2) brcmsmac will be loaded to let it support the core
> >
> > We are going to have to find a way to get brcmsmac into the
> > wireless-next tree to make it feasible for the Broadcom guys to get
> > bcma support into that driver.  Do you agree?
> >
> > We could move it under the drivers/net/wireless tree.  Or, maybe I
> > could negotiate with Greg to keep it under the drivers/staging tree
> > but to let me manage it under wireless-next.  Or...?  Do you have
> > any thoughts on this?
>
> I'll be posting some bcma patches that will allow brcmsmac being
> converted to bcma support. Currently we don't export few trivial ops
> in bcma, that are needed by b43/brcmsmac.
>
> Could we ask Greg after that, to merge wireless-next into staging?

No.

> That would provide Broadcom guys all the symbols they need.

Yes, or they can wait for the next merge window as that will make things
easier for everyone involved, right?

> AFAIK git is clever enough to allow Linux easily merge both: Greg's
> tree and wireless-next tree. Without conflicts coming from
> "duplicated" patches.

It is, but I really don't want to be dragging around the wireless-next
tree in staging-next, just like I doubt John would want to drag
staging-next into wireless-next.

thanks,

greg k-h