Search Linux Wireless

Re: Google Summer of Code 2011 - The Linux Foundation is Accepted as Mentoring Organization

On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 4:29 PM, Till Kamppeter
<till.kamppeter@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 03/19/2011 12:26 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
>>
>> So one idea I was thinking about was that of using P2P to enable
>> phones to grant a central box tethering capabilities to their 3G
>> connection, while the central box acts as a regular AP. This can be
>> useful on trains to enable users to share their internet and aggregate
>> their connections together. So the project would consist of the
>> utilities and hooks to get these boxen easily deployed anywhere.
>>
>> Since cell phones tend to beacon on the same channel, channel 6, the
>> central box would only be able to aggregate more than 3G connection by
>> having different phones establish a P2P connection on the same
>> channel. Not sure how many connections this limits us to then. It
>> would also be nice to get the AP to function as a regular AP on
>> something other than channel 6 so I guess we'd need the central box to
>> do P2P with multichannel operation. That support likely won't hit
>> upstream for a while.. so hrmm..
>>
>> Just an idea, maybe next year.
>
> I would simply post it.

Hm, well the technical aspects of supporting such an implementation
would be required upstream first. If I get feedback we can at least do
some minimal 2-cell phone thether sharing setup then likely we can get
someone to work on it. Looking for feedback on this though first.

  Luis