Search Linux Wireless

Re: Google Summer of Code 2011 - The Linux Foundation is Accepted as Mentoring Organization

On 03/19/2011 12:26 AM, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
So one idea I was thinking about was that of using P2P to enable
phones to grant a central box tethering capabilities to their 3G
connection, while the central box acts as a regular AP. This can be
useful on trains to enable users to share their internet and aggregate
their connections together. So the project would consist of the
utilities and hooks to get these boxen easily deployed anywhere.

Since cell phones tend to beacon on the same channel, channel 6, the
central box would only be able to aggregate more than 3G connection by
having different phones establish a P2P connection on the same
channel. Not sure how many connections this limits us to then. It
would also be nice to get the AP to function as a regular AP on
something other than channel 6 so I guess we'd need the central box to
do P2P with multichannel operation. That support likely won't hit
upstream for a while.. so hrmm..

Just an idea, maybe next year.

I would simply post it.

   Till