Search Linux Wireless

Re: Request for free-distributable Broadcom's (G|LP)-PHY firmware

On 02/18/2011 03:24 PM, RafaÅ MiÅecki wrote:
W dniu 21 paÅdziernika 2010 17:21 uÅytkownik Dan Williams
<dcbw@xxxxxxxxxx>  napisaÅ:
On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 00:11 +0200, RafaÅ MiÅecki wrote:
W dniu 20 paÅdziernika 2010 23:50 uÅytkownik Henry Ptasinski
<henryp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>  napisaÅ:
Sorry for the delay in responding.  We are exploring what is possible but
for the moment the answer is no. At present our focus is on providing the
best open source solution we can for 4313, 43224, 43225, 4329 and future
chips sets.

Thanks for answer.

Please, can you make totally sure person responsible for this gets it
totally right? I believe it's very important.

The easiest step for you, which we still would appreciate is really
trivial one. It's *not* about writing any code, *not* about releasing
anything new. It's just about releasing in under friendly license.
This firmware is already available, we have access to it, we use it.
The problem is that distributions can not ship it.

If you let me use simplification: all we need as first nice step is
Broadcom to say: "You can use it".

That's not enough to allow Fedora to ship it.  We'd need a clear license
from Broadcom (ex the existing Intel or Marvell firmware licenses)
before Fedora could feel comfortable about shipping it legally in all
jurisdictions.

http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=blob;f=LICENCE.mwl8k;h=3224e1bbfba8ccd1d980f57eb88378f20bb2d146;hb=HEAD
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/dwmw2/linux-firmware.git;a=blob;f=LICENCE.libertas;h=1fd8766c26a170b50605455ae6f54b607baa12cf;hb=HEAD

There's an existing Broadcom license in linux-firmware.git, and it *may*
be OK, but it's really, really long and given that other major companies
adopted the "shorter is better" approach, it's hard to believe that all
the existing Broadcom license text is actually needed.

Few months later, is there any progress? Can we expect:

1) Easier licensing of currently provided firmware (see Fedore case)
2) Firmware for LP-PHY devices
?

I think we can forget this whole business. It seems that Broadcom is content with their business model, even though knowledgeable Linux users are avoiding their products like the plague.

Larry