Search Linux Wireless

Re: UPDATE -- Need Linux driver (preferably 64 bit) for "Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230 (rev 34)" WiFI & Bluetooth card ...

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 12:31:02PM -0800, Noel Milton Vega wrote:

> Hi Friends....
>
> UPDATE:
>
> In working with the kernel.org linux-wireless developers, the conclusion
> from one developer was that, though generally speaking the
> "Centrino Advanced-N 6230 AGN" card is supported by the "iwlagn" kernel
> module, it seems that the stock kernel module provided in the
> Fedora 14 kernel package (circa 2.6.35.10-74.fc14.x86_64), does not
> support the this card.
>
> In other words, though code in the main kernel.org git repository does
> show support for the card (via iwlagn kernel module), Fedora 14's
> rendition/distribution of that does not.

The point you seem to be missing is that your hardware is very new,
and the current Fedora 14 kernel is an "ancient" 6+ months old.

> "lspci(8) -v" did show the hardware (Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6230
> (rev 34)), the necessary driver and firmware packages were installed, and the
> laptop RF toggle switches are set to enable wireless communications.
> Yet manually performing "modprobe(8) iwlagn" does not produce a wlan0
> interface in "ifconfig(8) -a" output; and although "dmesg(8)" shows the
> module being loaded, it does not show it detecting the card.
>
> The two work arounds were suggested (I haven't tried either):
>
>   (1) Update the kernel. Since I have the latest one provided
>       by Fedora for Fedora 14, this implies a manual compile
>       of a kernel.org kernel. Note that if Fedora is not aware of
>       this issue, it's not likely that the next kernel update
>       will remedy this.

You could update to a Fedora Rawhide kernel.

As root:

	yum install fedora-release-rawhide

	yum --enablerepo=rawhide install kernel

Please note that Rawhide is not known for its stability...

>   (2) Using a compat-wireless technique described here,
>       http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download
>

> Command output during my debugging session with the developers is
> shown below for completeness, and in case the Fedora folks are
> monitoring.

I'm sorry, but your acquisition of bleeding-edge hardware does not
merit a change in the normal Fedora release policy.

John

P.S.  I apologize if this seems rude -- that is not my intent.
linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx			might be all we have.  Be ready.