Search Linux Wireless

Re: ath5k: Weird Retransmission Behaviour

2010/12/6 Jonathan Guerin <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>

> I've been doing some investigation into the behaviour of contention
> windows and retransmissions.
>
> Firstly, I'll just describe the test scenario and setup that I have. I
> have 3 Via x86 nodes with Atheros AR5001X+ cards. They are tethered to
> each other via coaxial cables, into splitters. They have 20dB of fixed
> attenuation applied to each antenna output, plus a programmable
> variable attenuator on each link. One node acts as a sender, one as a
> receiver, and one simply runs a monitor-mode interface to capture
> packet traces. All 3 are running kernel version 2.6.37-rc2. The sender
> and receiver are configured as IBSS stations and are tuned to 5.18
> GHz.
>
> Here's a really dodgy ASCII diagram of the setup:
>
> S-----[variable attenuator]-----R
> | Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â |
> | Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â |
> | Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â |
> +------------M-------------------------+
>
> where S is the Sender node, R is the Receiver node and M is the
> Monitoring capture node.
>

> Secondly, I have written a program which will parse a captured pcap
> file from the Monitoring station. It looks for 'chains' of frames with
> the same sequence number, and where the first frame has the Retry bit
> set to false in the header and all following have it set to true. Any
> deviation from this, and the program drops the current chain without
> including it in its stats, and looks for the next chain matching these
> requirements. It averages the amount of time per transmission number
> (i.e. the average of all transmissions which were the first, second,
> third etc. for a unique sequence number). The transmission time of a
> frame is the amount of time between the end of the frame and the end
> of the previous. It tracks these 'chains' of frames with the same
> sequence number. It considers the last transmission number in each
> chain as the 'final' transmission.
>
> Finally, the link is loaded using a saturated UDP flow, and the data
> rate is fixed to 54M and 36M. This is specified in the output. The
> output is attached below.
>
> The output describes the fixed link data rate, the variable
> attenuator's value, the delivery ratio, and the number of transmitted
> packets/s. I've added a discussion per result set. Each line outputs
> the transmission number, the average transmission time for this
> number, the total number of transmissions, the number of frames which
> ended their transmissions at this number (i.e. where the chain ended
> its final transmission - this is equivalent to the retransmission
> value from the Radiotap header + 1), and the average expected
> transmission time for all that particular transmission number in all
> chains. This is calculated using the airtime calculations from the
> 802.11a standard, with the receipt of an ACK frame, as well as a SIFS
> [...]

Did you measure ACK timeout or 25 is what you get from the code ?
Because from what we know so far hw starts counting after switching to
RX mode so phy rx delay (25 from standard) is also added.

--
GPG ID: 0xD21DB2DB
As you read this post global entropy rises. Have Fun ;-)