Search Linux Wireless

Re: orinoco_cs module and WPA not working

>> I'm at a loss. I've looked at the wpa_supplicant code, and had another
>> look at the driver. The scan should be a plain wildcard scan - which
>> you've identified works.
>>
>> Does setting scan_ssid=1 in the wpa_supplicant network block change
>> the behaviour? That's usually only necessary for hidden SSIDs - but
>> I'd like to know if the scan succeeds in this case.
>
> No It doesn't work.
> But I have more informations for you.
>
> I have been testing different versions of wpa_supplicant
> and I have found that if a use wpa_supplicant 0.7.0 or earlier,
> it works. With 0.7.1 or newer it fails.
> wpa_supplicant 0.7.0 works even without applying your patch.

I've set myself up so I can test with orinoco_usb. I can reproduce the
issue (or something that looks the same).

After much confusion, I suspect the initial scan is being triggered
before the hardware is ready. Internally, wpa_supplicant will do an
'ifconfig eth1 up' followed by an 'iwlist eth1 scan', and it seems the
driver/hardware wants more time between them.

Try the following (either in two command prompts, or with
wpa_supplicant in the background):

prompt1$ wpa_supplicant -dd -ieth1 ....

prompt2$ ifconfig eth1 down
prompt2$ ifconfig eth1 up

and see what wpa_supplicant is doing. If it has got scan results then
you're probably seeing what I am.

I need to have a think about how this needs to be fixed in the driver.

Dave.