Search Linux Wireless

Re: Modifying the driver iwlwifi

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:39 AM, Johannes Berg
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-10-21 at 14:17 -0200, Cassiano Tartari, Eng. wrote:
>> Its basic idea is that a client doesn't wait each
>> response to go to the next step, so just do: AUTH REQ -> ASSOC REQ ->
>> DHCP DISC -> DHCP REQ -> ARP QUERY and a PING THROUGH to verify that
>> an end-to-end connection is available.
>
> I'd just like to point out that for various reasons (that I invite you
> to research for yourself) there's no way this can work in encrypted
> networks, or against compliant/certified access points.

I had a look at the paper, and the original poster seems to have
exaggerated the paper's claims. They do indeed do the authentication
and association request before getting responses. For everything else,
they wait to get the response for the previous stage. The main
difference is that they greatly reduce the timeouts before retrying at
each stage. The paper is also limited to non-encrypted networks.