Search Linux Wireless

Re: Any news regarding multicast rate configuration?

--- Jouni Malinen <j@xxxxx> wrote:

> At least for now, there is no separate configuration option for
> multicast frames, i.e., the same TX rate mask will apply to rate
> selection for both unicast and multicast frames. Multicast frames are
> subject to rate selection; the current mac80211 rate algorithms may not
> do much in that area, though, apart from letting the lowest available
> rate be selected. By changing which rates are enabled, you can change
> that lowest rate..

I think there is a serious problem. Unicast and multicast have
different characteristics and should have different "rate pools"
to select rates from.

> Why would the currently available mechanism not work for
> you?

For multicast the situation is the following: the selection of available
data rates affects all stations. If I drop the lower data rates to force
multicast traffic at 11Mbit/s, then the stations close to the sender will
be able to receive a video feed. Stations further away won't get it, but
this is a trade off between data rate (e.g. quality) and coverage.
However, I'd still like to reach them over unicast, even if the data
rate is only 1Mb/s. The current approach would prevent this, despite
the fact that it would be physically possible.

So, I would really prefer a solution were multicast and unicast data
rates can be selected independently of each other.

Kind regards
  Joerg