Search Linux Wireless

Re: iw station del broken?

Johannes Berg schrieb:
On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 15:05 +0200, Marco Porsch wrote:
Johannes Berg schrieb:
On Mon, 2010-03-29 at 14:47 +0200, Marco Porsch wrote:
Hi list,

is it just me or is 'iw dev <devname> station del <MAC address>' broken?
No ... we decided a while ago that station manipulation in mesh was too
hard to support and removed it.

What's the use case anyway?

johannes
The use case is that, if I have some mesh points in a single room or one a small floor, I can simply give them a topology by removing the links between the STA, I do not wish to be directly connected. Removing the links means 'iw dev <devname> set mesh_param mesh_auto_open_plinks 0', which blocks building up new peering links, and then removing some links with 'station del'.

Can't you just do that before it gets discovered?

I'm not really happy with the mesh API anyway ...

johannes

That makes any scripting impossible, because it would mean a fine timing between the ifup on the stations. Also I think you can't build complex topologies this way. The alternative iw dev <devname> mpath set <destination MAC address> next_hop <next hop MAC address> is not useful (if it is still included though ^^) because it sets paths hard. Means that these paths are not changed, even if they are broken.

Well, you're the maintainer. Your choice.

By the way: which was the last version with 'station del' in mesh intact? Which codeparts would have to be exchanged if i'd like to use this further? Only iw and nl80211?