Search Linux Wireless

Re: LP-PHY Fatal DMA error 0x00000800 on non-ULV Core 2 Duo?!?!!??!

On Monday 01 March 2010 01:22:50 Michael Buesch wrote:
> Well, you are confusing address spaces here.
>
> On a PCI based SSB device all host-side MMIO transfers go into
> the PCI device's address space first. The core-switching moves the window of
> the SSB address space that is mapped into 0-0xFFF of the PCI address space.
> So if you write to anything above 0xFFF on the PCI device, the write will
> not (directly) map to the SSB bus or any device on it.
> On the PCI device there is more stuff mapped on top of the SSB sliding
> window. For example the SPROM is mapped right on top of it.
>
> So it might be the case that on a PCI-E device the PCI-E-core's registers
> are permanently mapped into 0x2000 of the PCI address apace. This is to
> avoid sliding the SSB address space window when accessing the PCI-E core.
> This can have several reasons: For one speed (unlikely) and for another
> to avoid concurrency and ugly races when we need to access the PCI-E core
> while the wireless core is already running and generating interrupts.
> Note that this is a GUESS, but it would make sense to me.
> It would be cool if somebody could compare more registers of the PCI-E
> core using the sliding window and the 0x2000 + reg method to check my theory.

So what's the status on this? I think the fact that the testing patch showed some
improvement is a clear indicator that something in the PCI-E core init is wrong.
It's also not surprising that something is going wrong there. The whole PCI-E core
code basically is undebugged. I wrote most of it long time ago, but I still
don't have a device that tests it (and probably won't get one anytime soon).
So I'm really not surprised that there are bugs. There also are missing parts.

A bug in the PCI-E core code is able to show such behavior, because all memory
transfers (MMIO and DMA) from the PCI device to the wireless core are translated
by the PCI-E core.
I think the whole PCI-E core code has to be audited (also the specs, probably).

--
Greetings, Michael.