Search Linux Wireless

Re: Make b43 driver fall back gracefully to PIO mode after fatal DMA errors

2010/2/26 Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> On Fri, 26 Feb 2010, Gábor Stefanik wrote:
>>
>> Well, we have a report from someone with an Intel T7250, which is
>> definitely neither a slow CPU nor a ULV. The machine has PhoenixBIOS
>> (in the same rebranded form as yours). My Intel T7100 + InsydeH2O
>> machine (almost the same CPU, but with Insyde EFI in BIOS emulation
>> mode instead of PhoenixBIOS, or maybe TrustedCore) didn't reproduce
>> the bug. The trigger still seems to be PhoenixBIOS.
>
> Well, I'd love to give you a register dump. It _looks_ like it should be
> possible write some script to dump all the registers by accessing
>
>        /sys/kernel/debug/b43/phy0/[mmio,shm][16,32]read
>
> but that's a very odd interface and I don't know what the index ranges are
> for them (and which registers need 16-bit vs 32-bit accesses).
>
> But if you give me a script to dump all the relevant registers, I could
> just dump them after a cold-boot, and _before_ loading the b43 driver fir
> the first time. Maybe you can compare it to your state with your BIOS, in
> the same situation, and see if there is some obvious difference that
> strikes you?
>
> Of course, maybe there is some hidden state that doesn't show up there
> either?
>
>                Linus

Currently I am working on comparing mmiotraces from b43 and wl, and
there appear to be a few writes to the DMA control area of the card,
that are missing from b43. So, most likely no dump will be needed.

BTW I suspect that the difference between working & broken machines is
not in initial state - rather, the BIOS corrupts the state of the card
during startup. This would probably not show up in a register dump.

--Gábor

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)