Search Linux Wireless

Re: Coordinating development for Bluetooth 3.0 between 802.11 and BT trees

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:10:24PM -0800, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

> we are reviewing possibilities of working on Bluetooth 3.0. With
> Bluetooth 3.0 you essentially will switch to transmitting large data
> over your 802.11 device instead of the BT device. One of the first
> questions we need to address first is how we would go about
> coordinating development between wireless-testing and
> bluetooth-testing. First I'll note that I know squat of bluetooth so
> bare with me if I'm not being 100% accurate here. From what I gather
> on the mac80211 side the biggest piece will be the PAL implementation
> which should translate HCI commands to respective 802.11 frames where
> needed. It seems this would likely be the first thing tackled. Prior
> to working on 802.11 though we realize that at some point we'll need
> to synchronize the 802.11 and Bluetooth trees though so work done on
> wireless-testing for a PAL is reasonable but then the
> bluetooth-testing won't have the respective updates.
>
> Using linux-next is one possibility but using linux-next proves a pain
> due to the fact that every single update on breaks updates, so the
> only way to update is:
>
> git fetch
> git reset --hard origin
>
> Wanted to get your feedback on what you think would be the best
> approach to take for focus on development for Bluetooth 3.0 support.
> Hoping there is a better solution than using linux-next.

I'm sure Marcel and Johannes are way ahead of us on this. :-)

I think you covered the basics, but you did leave-out the possibility
of using net-next-2.6 for bleeding-edge development of bluetooth 3.
Since both Marcel and I feed Dave's tree and Dave endeavours to
keep the history of that tree stable then this would seem like your
best bet.

In any case, I was under the impression that at least the initial
parts of the 802.11 AMP implementation could happen independently
from any bluetooth stack changes...?

John
linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx			might be all we have.  Be ready.