Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 0/2] cfg80211: Retrieve missing BSS info after connect

Johannes Berg wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 13:20 +0000, David Kilroy wrote:
>> This patchset attempts to address the issue where a driver that uses
>> the cfg80211 connect operation connects to an AP before the scan result
>> for the AP is available. This triggers a WARN_ON in sme.c, and the
>> connection fails.
>
> With technical comments out of the way (see other emails) I guess I want
> to know whether this really makes sense.
>
> Yes, we definitely need the right BSS struct when the driver signals
> that it connected, but we also need the same information when it roamed
> for example. Does it really make sense to scan after the fact, instead
> of asking the driver to provide the information? This is a genuine
> question -- I can see value in this if more than one driver needs it,
> but if the devices can just provide BSS information right before the
> connected call that would be a lot simpler here.

Thanks for the feedback. Like I said, the main point of posting was to
see if this logic helped libertas in any way. Sounds like it doesn't, so
I won't push this for now. When I get round to looking at orinoco again
I'll see if I can handle this within the driver. If not I'll address the
issues you've raised.

I don't think orinoco can provide the BSS info without explicitly doing
the scan (whether internally or via cfg80211). Even if I could get it to
work for the firmware version I have, there's no guarantee that it'll
work for the other supported firmware types (that I don't have).

Dave.