Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 0/2] cfg80211: Retrieve missing BSS info after connect

On Sat, 2010-02-06 at 13:20 +0000, David Kilroy wrote:
> This patchset attempts to address the issue where a driver that uses
> the cfg80211 connect operation connects to an AP before the scan result
> for the AP is available. This triggers a WARN_ON in sme.c, and the
> connection fails.

With technical comments out of the way (see other emails) I guess I want
to know whether this really makes sense.

Yes, we definitely need the right BSS struct when the driver signals
that it connected, but we also need the same information when it roamed
for example. Does it really make sense to scan after the fact, instead
of asking the driver to provide the information? This is a genuine
question -- I can see value in this if more than one driver needs it,
but if the devices can just provide BSS information right before the
connected call that would be a lot simpler here.

johannes