Search Linux Wireless

Re: mac80211: Open bug in current wireless-testing

On Thu, 2010-01-28 at 00:21 -0800, Joerg Pommnitz wrote:
> I found and read the patch in question. If I understand things correctly,
> this provides a way to set a mask that marks the data rates that are
> available for the RC algorithm to choose from. This could be translated
> into an iw command like this:
>
> iw dev wlan0 rates 54M,11M
>
> and then the current RC algorithm would be limited to choose either 54M or
> 11M as TX data rate. Is this correct?

Yes.

> Selecting a single fixed data rate would mean to only mark one data rate
> as available. I think this meats my requirements in this area. However,
> I still have another problem: We use Madwifi to multicast video streams.
>
> With Madwifi we have an iwpriv call that allows the selection of the multicast/broadcast data rate. We need something equivalent for mac80211
> before we can make the switch.

You can control the multicast/broadcast rates with basic rate set
configuration (in hostapd.conf). I think the current rate control
algorithms do not support dynamic rate selection for
multicast/broadcast, so they will end up picking the lowest rate from
the basic rate set. Anyway, if you include only a single rate in the
basic rate set, that rate will be used for multicast/broadcast frames.

- Jouni