Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC 1/3] mac80211: WIP - add operating BSSID to device configuration struct

ext Kalle Valo wrote:
Luciano Coelho <luciano.coelho@xxxxxxxxx> writes:

Some chips need to know the BSSID that we are interested in before we start
the association process.  This patch adds an operating BSSID to the device
configuration struct ieee80211_conf so that it can be passed to the driver
when op_config is called.

With this solution we also solve the problem of some chips that require
an explicit disconnect command when disassociating.

You could explain here more how disconnection is possible. It's not
obvious from the commit log.

+ * @oper_bssid: BSSID on which we are operating; some chips need to know
+ *    which BSSID we are "tuned" to in order to improve power management,
+ *    coexistence with other technologies (such as Bluetooth) and other
+ *    filtering issues.

"Tuned" is confusing here. Also I think it's enough to specify the
reasons in the commit log, and here just explain what the parameters
is used for. Maybe something like this:

* @oper_bssid: BSSID on which we are operating; some chips need to
*    know the BSSID before association. If zero, there is no
*    association established nor any requests of it.

Very good points. I'll fix this as part of my rework on these patches. Thanks for your comments!

--
Cheers,
Luca.