Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] libertas: monster-patch to make CFG/WEXT configurable

> I really don't understand the point. Can't you just use the
> cfg80211 hooks and keep both functional at the same time? Just
> like orinoco does it uses cfg80211 only partially.

I think I can't do this in a sane way.

Oh, and please don't compare libertas all the time with orinoco.
Orinoco is FULLMAC, libertas is HALFMAC.

Because libertas firmware doesn't roam, it has to be done in
software. Libertas does this in assoc.c, partly in scan.c, cmd.c
and wext.c and even main.c. For example, libertas keeps its own
list of BSS entries, has code to select the best matching BSS
when it comes to associating ... things like this.

cfg80211 has this code too.

Having two competing implementations running in one driver is a
way to havoc.

I could keep "old" stuff of the libertas in, e.g. monitor
mode --- but then it's not too difficult to use .change_intf()
to add monitor mode to cfg80211.

I can't and won't do the MESH stuff: I don't have a firmware that
does MESH, no knowledge and usage case for MESH. It would,
however, be possible to keep the current mesh code with WEXT and
use cfg80211 for monitor/station mode. However, I dislike this
more than cfg80211/wext configurability.

--
http://www.holgerschurig.de