Search Linux Wireless

Re: 2.6.31-git wireless broken

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 20:45 +0100, Hugh Dickins wrote:

> I've now tried recent Linus -git plus both those patches on both machines,
> but no joy on either.

Thanks.

> > Anyhow, I'm grasping at straws -- can you tell me more about the failure
> > mode, and possibly enable CONFIG_MAC80211_DEBUG_MENU and
> > CONFIG_MAC80211_VERBOSE_DEBUG?
>
> I enabled those on both machines for that trial, will keep them on for now.
>
> The failure mode is that iwconfig says ESSID:off/any instead of showing
> my essid, and I've no connectivity; but you probably need something more
> specific than that.
>
> I'll send you privately the .config of each machine, and the dmesg of
> each machine, from that trial.  I've just compared the .configs against
> what works for 2.6.31, and everything relevant still seems to be there.

Very odd. Haven't really looked at the config, but I see the phy0: idle
message that indicates you have debug on. However, it's like nothing
ever tells the kernel to connect to a network.

Are you running wpa_supplicant?

> I do wonder if this is an openSUSE interaction, whether another distro
> with the same kernel would be fine.

I'm not sure why that would be? But then again this is the first I've
heard of such a problem.

johannes