Search Linux Wireless

Re: 2.6.31-git wireless broken

On Thu, 2009-09-24 at 18:18 +0100, Hugh Dickins wrote:
> I've noticed for a while that wireless is broken in linux-next, on both
> the machines I use it on (a Fujitsu Siemens laptop using iwl3945 and an
> Acer Aspire One using ath5k: both running openSUSE 11.1, with WPA):
> I hoped to find it fixed later, but no, Linus's git is broken now.
>
> Only found time to bisect it a couple of days ago (on the Aspire One:
> guess the other would show the same, but that's no more than a guess).
> It arrived at the commit below as the culprit, which from your own
> words doesn't seem like a very hopeful place to land :-(
>
> That commit does give me a "WARNING: at net/mac80211/mlme.c:1904",
> followed by "WARNING: at net/mac80211/mlme.c:2308" every few seconds;
> and those do get fixed later on (don't appear with latest git).
> But I think there's another problem that comes in later, because
> at this commit iwconfig does show my ESSID, whereas with later
> git it just says "ESSID:off/any" (I have not bisected when that
> change comes in).
>
> I expect you'll need a lot more info from me: please do ask
> (but bear in mind that I'm wireless and network ignorant).

Thanks. I'm not sure why you'd get the warning there every few seconds,
but I suppose we don't really care all that much.

I think you're probably running afoul of a bugfix that I did while at
the wireless summit, and then the fix to it made it in, but not yet the
fix to the fix :(

Are you using an encrypted network, or an open one? If it's open, can
you try this patch?
http://johannes.sipsolutions.net/patches/kernel/all/2009-09-24-17%3a32/010-cfg80211-fix-wpas-open.patch

johannes