Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwlagn rfkill and 2.6.31 on Intel Corporation PRO/Wireless 5100 AGN

On Wed, Sep 16, 2009 at 11:05 PM, Fabio Coatti <fabio.coatti@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> In data mercoledì 16 settembre 2009 18:30:19, reinette chatre ha scritto:
>
>> On Wed, 2009-09-16 at 07:57 -0700, Fabio Coatti wrote:
>> > But the behaviour of wifi sybsystem is still weird, (maybe for some
>> > faults on my side). Basically if the laptop starts with wifi enabled
>> > (rfkill off) wpa_supplicant can establish a connection, that can be
>> > killed by rfkill switch (both wifi and bluetooth seems to be killed). But
>> > when I turn off rfkill switch wpa_supplicant is unable to connect again;
>> > looking at syslog/dmesg I can see activity in bt stack, but no messages
>> > regarding wlan0.
>>
>> I think at this point you need to bring the interface back up. When you
>> enable rfkill the interface is brought down, the opposite (bringing
>> interface up) is not done automatically when you disable rfkill.
>>

> Ok, I understand your point. In fact I can bring up the interface using
> "ip link set wlan0 up"
> but this leads me to another question: I fail to see how restart the interface
> automatically when rfkill switch is turned off.
> The expected behaviour in this case should be, imho, that wpa_supplicant wakes
> up and restarts the connection.
> IIRC netplug doesn't work with wireless connections and this leaves me
> wondering how I can have wireless la to wake up after turning off rfkill
> switch :)

Hmm, I recently looked to the interaction between rfkill and hal, and
may be able to answer that. The kernel rfkill module also exports its
state via either /dev/rfkill or sysfs's /sys/class/rfkill (depending
on kernel version; I think /dev/rfkill is new to
2.6.31/wireless-testing/compat-wireless, and not in 2.6.30). hald or
devicekit (again, depend on distro/kernel version) monitors those, and
informs NetworkManager via d-bus messaging when the rkfill state
changes. NetworkManager then if up/down the device and tell
wpa_supplicant accordingly. So the ifconfig-interface-up is supposed
to happen automatically, if hald/devicekit works and talk to
NetworkManager.

i.e. the waking-up should happen automatically if you have the
combination of hald/devicekit and networkmanager.

Does this answer your question?