Search Linux Wireless

Re: Questions about regulatory domain & passive scanning

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 09:26:11PM +0200, Gábor Stefanik wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
> <lrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Holger Schurig
> > <hs4233@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> Hi !
> >>
> >> I'm playing with regulatory domain using wireless-testing, iw,
> >> crda and ath5 on Debian. Here are some observations:
> >>
> >> 1) Debian sucks here
> >
> > We've tried a few times to poke them and after some thread exchanges
> > and some changes to wirless-regdb and crda due to concerns over the
> > signing stuff due to the DFSG in account for these discussions it
> > seems some stuff was packaged but not sure where it went. Kel, are you
> > aware of the status in this regard on Debian?
>
> Well, if the problem is signing, then they are always free to package
> a patched crda that accepts unsigned or self-signed databases; AFAIK
> GPL doesn't prohibit that (though it kinda defeats the purpose of
> crda).

I disagree about that defeating the purpose -- the purpose is to put
the decision making into userland.  The signing is a configuration
issue, allowing distributions to have "trusted" configuration sources
by default.
linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx			might be all we have.  Be ready.