Search Linux Wireless

Re: Questions about regulatory domain & passive scanning

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 8:36 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez
<lrodriguez@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 5:27 AM, Holger Schurig
> <hs4233@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Hi !
>>
>> I'm playing with regulatory domain using wireless-testing, iw,
>> crda and ath5 on Debian. Here are some observations:
>>
>> 1) Debian sucks here
>
> We've tried a few times to poke them and after some thread exchanges
> and some changes to wirless-regdb and crda due to concerns over the
> signing stuff due to the DFSG in account for these discussions it
> seems some stuff was packaged but not sure where it went. Kel, are you
> aware of the status in this regard on Debian?

Well, if the problem is signing, then they are always free to package
a patched crda that accepts unsigned or self-signed databases; AFAIK
GPL doesn't prohibit that (though it kinda defeats the purpose of
crda).

> [...]
>>         * 2472 MHz [13] (20.0 dBm) (passive scanning)
>>         * 2484 MHz [14] (20.0 dBm) (passive scanning)
>>
>>   I'd like to highlight the "passive scanning". Is this info
>>   from the card EEPROM?
>
> If you lack crda, by default you will world roam, even if your EEPROM
> has been programmed to a specific regulatory domain and calibrated as
> such -- reason being is we moved regulatory content to userspace; so
> OLD_REG had only 3 statically built regulatory domains in the kernel,
> with CRDA you get all of them on userspace, and no more need to update
> the kernel to update regulatory settings. World roaming has some
> enhancements though like enabling active scanning on passive-scanning
> channels if youo pick up a beacon from an AP on that channel.
>
>> 3) After "iw reg set DE" (for germany), it's now
>>
>>          2412 MHz [1] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2417 MHz [2] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2422 MHz [3] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2427 MHz [4] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2432 MHz [5] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2437 MHz [6] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2442 MHz [7] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2447 MHz [8] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2452 MHz [9] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2457 MHz [10] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2462 MHz [11] (20.0 dBm)
>>          2467 MHz [12] (20.0 dBm) (passive scanning)
>>          2472 MHz [13] (20.0 dBm) (passive scanning)
>>          2484 MHz [14] (disabled)
>>
>>   Great, CRDA worked obviously: channel 14 has been disabled.
>
> Sure, but keep in mind your regulatory domain must've been read too
> first, that's probably what lifted your passive scan flag on channel
> 12 unless you did a scan prior to trying to set the regulatory domain.
>
>>   And, as I understand it, CRDA can just limit settings
>>   further, not widening it. Therefore channels 12 and 13
>>   are still marked as "passive scanning".
>
> Right. Now if your card is world roaming (defined in
> net/wireless/reg.c as reg_is_world_roaming() ) you could lift passive
> scan off of 12 and 13 if you had an AP there.
>
>>   If I want to get them to "active scanning", would I need to
>>   modify the EEPROM of the card?
>
> Well yes, but you must note that is something not supported, not
> recommended, unless you are a manufacturer selling cards and have the
> capability to calibrate, etc, and certify. That is -- EEPROM
> programming is not something designed to be changed by the end user.
>
>> ath_info says "Reg. Domain:
>>   0x60".
>
> Ok, as I have documented on the ath wiki page [1] any Atheros
> regulatory domain which has 0x60 is world roaming. As I also
> documented as well these 12 world regulatory domains are statically
> built into the kernel on ath as they are custom world regulatory
> domains, so even without the presence of CRDA you'll get the
> regulatory domain your card is designed for. With OLD_REG though you
> end up trying to stick to static kenrel US rules so you would only be
> allowed to use what the US allows on your 0x60 regulatory domain, this
> is ath_world_regdom_60_61_62 on drivers/net/wireless/ath/regd.c.

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)