Search Linux Wireless

Re: current status of 802.11s mesh in ath5k ?

Andrey Yurovsky wrote:

 However ath5k will not beacon until you issue a scan due
to a bug.  You can bring up an ath5k node like this:

# iw phy phy0 interface add mesh type mp mesh_id mymesh
# ifconfig mesh up
# iwlist mesh scan

So, once the first scan triggers the beaconing, everything should keep working ok ? Or should I throw together a small script that triggers a scan once every 10minutes until this bug is fixed ?
(In my case the mesh nodes should stay online 24/7 without user interaction)
Things seem to work well aside from the scan issue, however I haven't
fully verified multi-hop yet.
I have a semi production setup with about 10 mesh nodes, in a building where multihop is required due to the extensive use of metal plating and therefore 'poor' wireless performance. In a typical scenario I need about 4 to 5 hops to reach the nodes at the other end of the building.

The nodes only have a single antenna connected, so I need to change some code to disable antenna switching, but I'm not a C expert/module developer at all so that might take a while to figure out... I thought I managed to do it about 2 months ago but broke something since the nodes seemed to work perfectly after updating the wireless modules but they all went offline 3 to 5 days later and only came back online after reverting to the stable 2.6.29 wireless modules.

Anyway, when I get that issue worked out without breaking anything else I'll see how the multihop performs and report back in a few days.

Thanks!

Hans