Search Linux Wireless

Re: compat-wireless: ridiculous build speed

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:14 PM, Michael Buesch<mb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 June 2009 23:10:52 Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:

>> > -j does not help. It will hardly build in parallel then.
>>
>> It works swell for me. The only thing that does not build in parellel
>> is the autoconf stuff but after its done with that step everything
>> builds as expected with -j 2.
>>
>> > There's something
>> > that serializes most of it (implicitly).
>>
>> You certain its just not the first part? I had written some patches to
>> make the first autoconf step into another step to then allow make -j
>> foo to work without a warning but that would involve another step. The
>> -j option does work for me though.
>
> Well, I never measured it, but I don't see any advantage when using -jX. Maybe
> that is because forever equals forever+1.
>
> What I do see, though, is that the per-cpu load is much higher when building the
> kernel itself with the same -j parameter.

Actually, most of the slowness comes from stage 2 of the module build.
For me, stage 1 runs through rather fast (and -jX accelerates it quite
well), but stage 2 is serialized, and there is a long wait between
individual files. This wait is about a second on 2.6.28 for me in
vmware, but over 5 seconds (!!!) on 2.6.29. I've tried multiple
distros, and the time difference is consistent. (BTW stage 2 is
serialized in a full kernel build as well, though there is no reason
why it should be so; but no "wait" between steps is observed - in
fact, the second stage of a full 2.6.29 kernel build completes faster
for me than the second stage of compat-wireless on 2.6.29!)

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)