Search Linux Wireless

Re: compat-wireless: ridiculous build speed

On Thursday 11 June 2009 23:10:52 Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 2:05 PM, Michael Buesch<mb@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >> I think the many depmod -ae are the culprit. This is in place to
> >> account for all the crap of madwifi which may be present or older
> >> drivers which have been renamed.
> >>
> >> This could be improved. Patches are welcomed.
> >>
> >> Ps. Try building with make -j 2, etc.
> >
> > -j does not help. It will hardly build in parallel then.
>
> It works swell for me. The only thing that does not build in parellel
> is the autoconf stuff but after its done with that step everything
> builds as expected with -j 2.
>
> > There's something
> > that serializes most of it (implicitly).
>
> You certain its just not the first part? I had written some patches to
> make the first autoconf step into another step to then allow make -j
> foo to work without a warning but that would involve another step. The
> -j option does work for me though.

Well, I never measured it, but I don't see any advantage when using -jX. Maybe
that is because forever equals forever+1.

What I do see, though, is that the per-cpu load is much higher when building the
kernel itself with the same -j parameter.

--
Greetings, Michael.