Search Linux Wireless

Re: Testing AP mode with WLAN-USB-Stick: How to obtain?

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 11:59 AM, Johannes
Berg<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-06-11 at 04:08 +0100, Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>
>> For the sake of being pedantic, can I have some reference (if only for
>> those sleepless nights for lack of boring reading materials...)? Maybe
>>  I won't understand it anyway, but maybe somebody else who is
>> listening in to this exchange can chip in.
>> I have a 1300-page pdf supposedly the  802.11 2007 standard I
>> downloaded some months ago through one of the wikipedia links, I think
>> (somewhere under http://standards.ieee.org/) ... chapter 11 is MLME
>> and section 11.2 is power management, which in turn is split into two
>> sub-sections about power management in infrastructure nework and IBSS
>> mode. I found a particular sentence in section 11.2.1. which sounds a
>> bit like what you are saying (except with some cryptic acronyms!):
>>
>> ------
>> If any STA in its BSS is in PSmode, the AP shall buffer all broadcast
>> and multicast MSDUs and deliver them to all STAs immediately
>> following the next Beacon frame containing a DTIM transmission.
>> ------
>>
>> Have I found the right place to read up on such things, or there are
>> other documents, etc (more detailed, or more "layman")?
>
> Yes, that's the right place.
>
>> On the broken-AP mode in the zd1211 vendor driver - presumably Zydas
>> did not wrote that specially for linux, but just modified/adapted from
>> their windows driver? So I guess windows users of zd1211 (or other USB
>> sticks) are used to being able to do such things and assume whatever
>> it does is normal? It just crossed my mind that if some off-spec
>> behavior is sufficiently popular on windows (e.g. if
>> connection-sharing requires AP mode to work and won't take IBSS),
>> sometimes the spec gets modified to ratify a formerly barbaric
>> off-spec behavior.
>
> I don't think windows supports being an AP at all, afaict it's
> connection sharing will create an IBSS.
>
> johannes

That's not what I meant (though Windows can operate in AP mode using
the utility provided for Zydas cards), but rather using the Linux
machine to give Internet connection to a Windows machine. AFAIK
Windows will never use an IBSS connection for Internet access
purposes, and only allows Internet through wireless if connected to an
AP.

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)