Search Linux Wireless

Re: Testing AP mode with WLAN-USB-Stick: How to obtain?

2009/6/9 Gábor Stefanik <netrolller.3d@xxxxxxxxx>:

> This will cause problems for power-saving clients, as the ZD1211 chip
> has no multicast buffering feature, something that must be done in
> hardware even for softmac cards. (Possibly this can be worked around
> in the firmware, but so far, no firmware source code has been released
> for the ZD1211/AR2524, only for the ZD1221/AR9170.)

Can you elaborate a bit on that - e.g. reference to specific specs, or
dicussions archived elsewhere? This has been mentioned a few times - I
am just a bit curious. Granted that:
(1) Zydas zd1211 is cheap (I know how much I paid for it - I bought it
mostly for its price when I knew nothing about wireless devices and
their differences) and is expected to be minimal hardware-wise;
(2) having worked on the vendor driver, ported it forward to current
kernels and fixes a couple of old and new bugs on the way, the
quality/maintainability of the code isn't anywhere close to that of
any active open-source projects with more than say, 5 active
developers;
(3) there are still known bugs - it certainly does *not* work
correctly on 64-bit host, and not likely to work on non-[32-bit-intel]
hosts; and some of its 'if KERNEL_VERSION()' defines are plain
wrong...

But I have been using vendor driver 3.0 for a few weeks in AP mode and
I am as happy with it as I could be, I think; I have
suspended//resumed clients.  It works adequately. I'd like the rw
driver to support AP mode eventually (although I have been told in no
uncertain terms it is not going to happen; maybe only firmware
change). Just for curiosity I might have a crack at the 64-bit host
problem, but I'd like not to spend more effort on the vendor driver.