Search Linux Wireless

Re: VT6656 driver source now GPL

Hi all,

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 08:08:35PM -0400, Forest Bond wrote:

> [...]

Which is what VIA always had intended, but by accident it seemed to go wrong.
What would be the point of having an open-source driver and then not licensing
it under the GPL.

In any case, sorry that it too VIA so long to get to that point.

I was also pushing internally for a new mainline driver that would not come with
its own wifi stack.  Unfortunately there are no resources for that, and that
department even lost some of their developers, so I doubt there is change any
time soon.

However, for future VIA wifi products I have a committment that their drivers
will be developed more 'mainline style'.

As for the VT6656: I have recently also received some hardware for testing +
development.  I am free to work on a new driver for mainline (I doubt any
cleaning up would help) as I please - but then my time is severely limited,
I'm also trying to improve the situation with regard to tons of other VIA
chips.

> I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer interest in these
> drivers.

I am not surprised.  I personally have not yet seen any remotely popular
product in the market that uses a VIA wifi chip.  However, this might change
significantly in Q3/Q4 this year.

If anyone wants to work on a new driver for the vt6656: I am happy to help with
interfacing VIA's R&D in case there are some specific questions.  I
unfortunately cannot help with releasing documentation, as there is almost zero
documentation on that part. (not a big surprise, even Intel has no programming
manuals for their wifi chips...)

Cheers,
--
- Harald Welte <HaraldWelte@xxxxxxxxxxx>	    http://linux.via.com.tw/