Search Linux Wireless

Re: VT6656 driver source now GPL

Hi Harald,

Glad to hear from you.  I was just about to contact you regarding these devices.

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 09:29:54PM +0800, Harald Welte wrote:
> > I'm getting the sense that there is not a lot of developer interest in these
> > drivers.
>
> I am not surprised.  I personally have not yet seen any remotely popular
> product in the market that uses a VIA wifi chip.  However, this might change
> significantly in Q3/Q4 this year.

I have heard from a few interested parties at this point.  Greg has been very
helpful as well, although that doesn't seem to be related to his (lack of)
interest in these particular devices. ;)

> If anyone wants to work on a new driver for the vt6656: I am happy to help with
> interfacing VIA's R&D in case there are some specific questions.  I
> unfortunately cannot help with releasing documentation, as there is almost zero
> documentation on that part. (not a big surprise, even Intel has no programming
> manuals for their wifi chips...)

I'm currently working to get the vendor drivers into staging.  vt6655 is
currently in linux-next, but there are some stability issues that may have been
introduced by some of my build fixes (or may have been present in the original
driver).  I'm currently preparing patches to merge vt6656 into -next as well.

You mention the idea of working on a new driver.  Do you see any value in
merging the vendor drivers and cleaning up from there?

BTW, these drivers could certainly use more expert attention than what I can
offer.  I'd be interested in working with you to get the vendor drivers in
shape, if you think it is worthwhile.  I take it no one at VIA is able to look
at the staging drivers in -next?

Thanks,
Forest
--