Search Linux Wireless

Re: Testing AP mode with WLAN-USB-Stick: How to obtain?

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Kalle Valo<kalle.valo@xxxxxx> wrote:
> Jouni Malinen <j@xxxxx> writes:
>
>>> Also deliberately breaking 802.11 specification sounds very wrong to me.
>>> We can, and should, aim higher than that.
>>
>> Well, breaking specifications may have to be done in some cases ;-), but
>> this particular feature is not really such a case.
>
> Yes, you are correct (as usual). The specification is not perfect, far
> from it :)
>
>> However, I do understand the desire to be able to use some kind of AP
>> mode even if it is known to be broken for some cases.
>
> Actually what are the reasons why an user would prefer AP mode over
> Ad-Hoc mode, if he doesn't care about power save? Better coverage
> between clients and better encryption, but that's it. Right?
>
> --
> Kalle Valo

There might be another reason - I'm not sure whether all versions of
Windows are capable of using an ad-hoc network for Internet connection
sharing. So, to bridge the connection from a Linux machine to a
Windows one, one might need to use AP mode.

--
Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)