Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] rfkill: remove set_global_sw_state()

On Mon, 2009-06-08 at 12:10 +0100, Alan Jenkins wrote:

> >> -		rfkill_set_sw_state(wwan_rfkill, hp_wmi_wwan_state());
> >>  		err = rfkill_register(wwan_rfkill);
> >>  		if (err)
> >>  			goto register_wwan_err;
> >>

> > Hmm. Anyone know anything about HP? That kinda looks persistent too.
> >

> Quite possibly.  I just don't know, and it's never been treated that way
> before.  The old core, when I first read it, you were supposed to report
> the initial state so that it knew whether it differed from the default
> state.  So the core could "optimise away" the initialization if the
> current state was the same.  Then rfkill_set_default() was added, but it
> was only used in tp-acpi and then eeepc-laptop.

Oh, good point. Then maybe that was just to avoid the core
initialisation that I just always did for ease of use.

> The counter is the sony-laptop case.  That driver also hits ACPI to
> query it's current state.  But apparently it doesn't always power up in
> a useful state, because there's a specific git commit which forces the
> radios to unblock at load time.
>

> I think this patch should preserve the existing behaviour.  But the
> rfkill rewrite as a whole is a good opportunity to re-check this issue.
> There's only a few maintainers to contact so I don't mind doing it -
> unless you were going to check with them about the rewrite anyway?

I wasn't planning on doing anything more than before -- where I had
copied hopefully all maintainers on the rewrite patch.

> > Ah, this is the quirky backward compat code you're talking about. I
> > guess we need it, although I don't particularly like it.
> >

> I don't like it either.  The patch as a whole only makes sense because
> rfkill-input is going away, so the global states will become less
> important.  When you use rfkill-input, you really want the individual
> states to match the global ones, otherwise your user experience
> suffers.  When you don't use rfkill-input, the "global" states will just
> be load-time defaults (once suspend is fixed).

Yeah. Want to fix suspend too? I would now, but I really need to get
lunch first :)

johannes