Search Linux Wireless

Re: compat-wireless won't associate on 2nd load

I've been experiencing something similar in vmware, though I thought
it was vmware's fault. (I have an 8187L.) In my case, detaching and
re-attaching the device to the VM was sufficient to reset it.

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:56 AM, Hin-Tak Leung <hintak.leung@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have been having some curious problem with rtl8187 for about a week
> - having problem associating with 'direct probe to AP <mac-addrr>
> timed out' after a reboot, and/or switching between compat-wireless
> modules. I thought it is a temporary problem with
> wireless-testing/compat-wireless but obviously nobody else has seen
> anything like mine from the mailing-list traffic. So I tried
> bisecting, etc and the results are inconsistent. Then I came to a
> vaguely working solution - it seems that I cannot modprobe
> compat-wireless twice - i.e. I can associate with compat-wireless
> after make install, make unload, modprobe; but modprobe -r then
> modprobe -v again I can't associate . I thought about restarting
> network manager, wpa_supplicant, etc without success, but the surest
> way to re-gain connectivity is simply to blow away /lib/modules/`uname
> -r`/updates, depmod -a and load the as-shipped modules. (and then I
> can make install compat-wireless and use it, and the cycle repeats if
> I unload compat-wireless and try to install a different
> compat-wireless snapshot, etc).
>
> This is really curious, as it seems that I cannot unload
> compat-wireless and reload it (or a later snapshot) without going
> through as-shipped-by-distro modules ( 2.6.29.4-167.fc11.x86_64) in
> the middle. How is that possible? One possibility is that as-shipped
> module does a reset of hardware on unload or wireless-testing put the
> hardware in a bad state on unload; but I know of no change of that
> sort. Anybody else having problems associating after modprobe -r
> /modprobe  -v with recent compat-wireless/wireless-testing?
> --

Vista: [V]iruses, [I]ntruders, [S]pyware, [T]rojans and [A]dware. :-)