Search Linux Wireless

Re: [ath5k-devel] BUG in wiphy_update_regulatory when loading ath5k (on latest git)

On Fri, Apr 10, 2009 at 01:30:28PM -0700, Alan Jenkins wrote:
> Pavel Roskin wrote:
> > On Fri, 2009-04-10 at 11:11 -0700, Luis R. Rodriguez wrote:
> >

> >> Thanks pavel, please try this patch:
> >>

> > I checked ath5k, ath9k and b43, and in all cases last_request is
> > initialized before it's used by the code changed in your patch.  In
> > fact, last_request is initialized before there is any message from ath5k
> > or another driver.
> >
> > I wonder if "module: create a request_module_nowait()" reverted in
> > wireless-testing was causing the initialization to go in a different
> > order.  I tried reapplying it and still could not reproduce the problem
> > (that is, last_request is not NULL in wiphy_update_regulatory).  But
> > maybe I'm just lucky.
> >
> > Anyway, your patch makes the code safer and doesn't break anything for
> > me.
> >

> I see.  That would explain why it's not deterministic.
>
> I've done 5 or so test runs with the patch applied, and I haven't had
> any more BUGs.  Thanks for the quick response!

Hm, yeah so when you load cfg80211 you always trigger a core regulatory hint
and technically there is a race between the workqueue running and you
before the workqueue ran.. what might be easiest is for us to schedule
somewhere or use the kernel completion thing but I haven't used that
myself yet.

  Luis