Search Linux Wireless

Re: Google Summer of Code 2009: Another wireless application

On Sun, Apr 5, 2009 at 11:02 PM, Witold Sowa <witold.sowa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> There is nothing to apologize for. I think that proposals should be
> discussed publicly. It would point mistakes which applicants do and help
> them to avoid doing them later (eg. next year). Constructive criticism
> is always welcomed.

It is still up to somebody else to make up their mind to accept a
student/application or not, in the wireless area, which isn't where my
expertise lies, and/or decide between several applications to the same
project.

> I thought it works in a bit different way. I thought that mentor is
> determined to lead some project before the applications are submitted.
> Then, proposals are sorted in order of quality and importance and the
> best Y applications is being accepted. Thanks for making it clear.

Yes and no. Project ideas and areas needed working on are advertised,
but mentors are not committed to take up students. (and students can
suggest their own topics, and when that happens, some people will hunt
for suitable mentors). And all the projects under the Linux
Foundations are scored and qualified together before Google takes the
decision of how many to fund. i.e. wireless projects are considered
against open-printing projects against LSB-standard-compliant
projects. So there are 4(?) wireless ideas, and a few possible mentors
under those 4, but it doesn't necessarily mean that there will be 4
students working on each of those this summer. Most likely it will be
less than 4. If there are fewer than 4, it just means that the work
won't get done this year (i.e pushed to next year) or being done
differently (one of Redhat/Suse/Ubuntu people might just do it as a
smaller part of the daily job).

(it is possible to have more than 4 - e.g. I can see two people
working on AP mode NetworkManager support, one for gnome and one for
KDE, if Google or some organization have unlimited resources).

AFAIK, google wants to fund 1000 projects this year (a slightly
smaller number than last year, due to economic down-turn), and this is
split between organizations, and out of the allocation to Linux
Foundations, some will be wireless, some will be open-printing, and
some will be LSB-standard-compliances. (those are the areas I know off
the top of my head of main areas under LF, there might be some other
topics which I forget to mention).