Search Linux Wireless

Re: Google Summer of Code 2009: Another wireless application

Hin-Tak Leung pisze:
> On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Witold Sowa <witold.sowa@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Hin-Tak Leung wrote:
>>
>>> (Hi Till!) - personally I like to see AP mode in network manager...
>>> there are two students on this (neither look too promising on first
>>> glance, but I could be wrong.)
>>>
>>> I haven't been checking lately - seems to have fewer students this year?
>>>

>> Actually, I disagree. I am ready to discuss my ideas and prove that I
>> have suitable skills to carry on the project.
>>

> You are free to discuss your ideas - but it was quite inappropriate of
> me to comment on merits and relative merits of students' applications
> in an open list, and I apologize for that.

There is nothing to apologize for. I think that proposals should be
discussed publicly. It would point mistakes which applicants do and help
them to avoid doing them later (eg. next year). Constructive criticism
is always welcomed.
> You are welcomed to try - and please do. But mind you a few things
> (and same applies to other students' applications):
> somebody who is knowledgeable in the topic of your choice needs to
> agree to be your mentor, and so far that has not happened - Dan has
> not agreed to consider any of the AP mode applications yet AFAIK;
> also, project ideas are compared and considered both within linux
> foundation, and in GSoC as a whole: Google only funds X numbers of
> projects each year, and only Y are allocated to Linux foundation.

I thought it works in a bit different way. I thought that mentor is
determined to lead some project before the applications are submitted.
Then, proposals are sorted in order of quality and importance and the
best Y applications is being accepted. Thanks for making it clear.