Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] regulatory information interpretation rules

On Sun, 2009-03-22 at 10:02 +0100, Johannes Berg wrote:
> Ok, so I'm thinking about the interpretation rules for the regulatory
> information. I even dreamt about this tonight, unfortunately...

The posting about the German rules made me look at them again and I
realised that there's no way (with either interpretation of the rules)
we can currently handle the German requirement of using only
0.25mW/25kHz, 10mW/MHz or 50mW/MHz.

Previously we had only thought about 20 MHz (or above) channels so that
wasn't a restriction (since you then reach the max EIRP permitted), but
with smaller bandwidths that does become a limit, a 5 MHz channel can
only have a max EIRP of 50mW, 50mW or 250mW respectively.

Should we incorporate that into regdb while we're changing things there
anyway? I'd add an optional field into the database like this:
	(5150 - 5250 @ 40), (N/A, 200mW, 0.25 mW / 25 kHz), ...

and extend netlink with it as well -- this requires a regdb version
change but not a netlink protocol change (except for the addition of the
new limit).

Does that make sense?

johannes