Search Linux Wireless

Re: Google Summer of Code 2009 -- Linux wireless roaming project

Am Dienstag, 24. März 2009 schrieb Holger Schurig:
> > Hmm, quick example: AP1 - STA - AP2
> >
> > We cannot consider the signal strength as constant as it
> > varies over time even when neither the STA nor the AP are
> > moving. Assume a threshold value of t=40. Furthermore, the
> > signal strength of AP1 and AP2 might alter between 35-50 which
> > means we have an average signal strength of 42,5 > t.
> > Nevertheless that would result in ping-pongs between AP1 and
> > AP2 because the signal might drop below t on both APs, while
> > it would be better to stick to one AP as the signal is already
> > quite bad (but still good enough to do some communication).
>
> Yeah, but if the client is moving, you have to live with that,
> more or less.
>
> And if the client is not moving (and roaming is a loadable kernel
> module), then simply don't load it :-)

Ah, ok. I was more referring to an ordinary laptop user who sits at his
desk and once in a while starts moving (for example to a conference room).
While he sits at his desk the optimal solution shouldn't trigger a scan as
the chance that a better AP pops up is relatively low. Once he starts
moving scanning is desired.

> My ad-hoc approach that I already implemented (for non-mac80211)
> shows a quite number of scannings. But that is ok for my
> use-case (e.g. telnet connection via WLAN). "Connection lost" is
> way worse than one scanning/reassociation too much, especially
> if the scanning/association is done intelligently.
>
> So for now I wouldn't optimize here, but make non-sucking roaming
> possible in the first place. We can build upon this anyway.

Fine with me. But too aggressive scanning might lead to unstable or
intermittent connections, especially when WPA-EAP without PMKSA-caching
is used where roaming from one AP to another can take up to several
seconds ;)

And additionally if the connection is idle, repeated scanning will
increase the power consumption which is not desired on battery driven
devices.

Helmut