Search Linux Wireless

rtl8187 performance diagnostics (was: rtl8187 cannot fix rate)

> I'm not an expert in reading these tables, but the success rates above 11
> Mb/s
> are very low, which seems to indicate that 11 Mb/s is a reasonable rate
> for your
> device. There is, however, a possibility that the code is not reporting
> the
> retry count correctly. I know from your initial post that 54M doesn't
> work, but
> can you get any throughput at 24, 36, or 48M? There is also the
> possibility that
> your hardware is broken for OFDM encoding. That scheme is used for 6, 9,
> and all
> rates 18M and above.
>
> Larry

Further playing around with my rtl8187b card. I have installed windows
onto my laptop too for performance comparisons. Just how crude or accurate
such comparisons are I dont know so if anyone has any experience then do
shout.

After installing windows, I did the following:

1) ping -n 10000 [server]
Result: Ping replies were good from throughout the house. Only 1 packet
lost out of about 600.

2) Observation of wireless connection
Result: From the little diagnostics there are on windows, it reckons it
connected at 54g (completely false as windows might just say that anyway).
Walking around the house, the signal bars only ever went down to 3 out of
5.

3) iperf -c [server]
Result: From 3 different locations in the house, the performance is
reported at 5.5 - 6Mbits/sec.

Rebooted back into Mandriva 2009 using the compat-wireless snapshot from
the 24/2/2009.

1) ping [server]
Result: Ping is brittle. Movements around the house can ensure a packet is
lost with minimal effort. Locations away from the router but within range,
that could be pinged from under Windows, resulted in lost packets and even
"Destination unreachables". Slight turnings of the laptop either left or
right when placed on a table impact ping connectivity.

2) Observation of wireless connection
Result: running iwconfig and looking at the signal strength indicates a
range of 28-100. The locations where 28 occurs rarely get a decent ping
test.

3) iperf -c [server]
Result: From 3 different locations in the house, the performance is
reported at 3 - 4Mbits/sec.

So my rather crude conclusions at the moment is the rtl8187 under mandriva
performs at a slower rate than under windows. More interestingly, it seems
that its receiver is not performing as well either, meaning the signal
coverage area for my laptop is much smaller.

Is there anything I can do to help improve this situation? These results
seems to rule out hardware in favour of being driver related. Are there
other tests I could perform to determine where the fragility lies?

Any thoughts, let me know.

Regards

PGR

--
Laws are partly formed for the sake of good men, in order to instruct them
how they may live on friendly terms with one another, and partly for the

You fiend! Never have I encountered such corrupt and foul-minded
perversity? Have you ever considered a career in the church?
Bishop of Bath and Wells (Blackadder II)