Search Linux Wireless

Re: IWL5300, 2.6.29-rc4, CRDA 1.0.1: Missing out 802.11A frequency ranges

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:42:30AM -0800, Luis Rodriguez wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 07:47:33AM -0800, John W. Linville wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 12:08:44PM +0000, Tony Vroon wrote:
> > > Just to confirm, if I use my early-boot hook that I used for your iw
> > > list to set the regulatory domain manually (iw reg set GB) all is well.
> > > If I allow the driver stack to get to the association stage without
> > > setting a regulatory domain, I can never get my 802.11A spectrum back
> > > after the fact.
> > > Would you still see this as a bug or rather a specific requirement of
> > > the new interface that hasn't yet been documented?
> >
> > Seems like a bug, or at least an unintended consequence of intersection...?

Sorry for the blank e-mail.

You are reporting you are disabling OLD_REG and your 5 GHz on iwlagn is disabled
upon bootup. You also reported from your log:

cfg80211: Calling CRDA to update world regulatory domain
cfg80211: calling CRDA failed - unable to update world regulatory domain, using static definition

This indicates to me your regulatory domain was simply never updated by CRDA. So what
would have happened is that iwlagn registers its device to mac80211 via ieee80211_register_hw()
then mac80211 registers it with cfg80211 via wiphy_register(). Upon that call cfg80211 will update
the device's regulatory ifnromation by calling

wiphy_update_regulatory(wiphy, REGDOM_SET_BY_CORE);

This in turn will check to see if it should ignore the request, and in your case
the check is:

        if (!last_request)
                return true;
        if (setby == REGDOM_SET_BY_CORE &&
                  wiphy->custom_regulatory)
                return true

Since iwlagn sets wiphy->custom_regulatory to true and since upon registration setby is
REGDOM_SET_BY_CORE the device will be ignored to change the regulatory domain. I see I
currently see no reason why your 5 GHz channels will be disabled unless I'm missing
something or the card's EEPROM disables them.

To debug this further we need more information. So please provide the output of both
the kernel *and*, 'iw list' _prior_ to associating to your AP. Before you do so please
recompile wireless-testing with these options enabled:

# Intel debug
CONFIG_IWL_DEBUG_INFO=y

# Cfg80211 regulatory debug
CONFIG_CFG80211_REG_DEBUG=y

So to re-iterate: I want both your kernel log _and_ 'iw list' output prior to association.

  Luis