Search Linux Wireless

Re: Userspace tools: Roadmap?

On Tue, 09 Dec 2008 00:26:41 +0100, "Johannes Berg"
<johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> There's libnl 1.2 and 2.0? That's news to me! Patches welcome. Sorry, I
> guess it needs 1.0 or 1.1, will fix the page.

Well at http://people.suug.ch/~tgr/libnl/ it still only lists 1.1 but
the git repository shows a clear move to 2.0 (forget I mentioned 1.2,
that was my own tracking label).  The code had a bunch of commits in
October.  In retrospect, if I just downloaded the 1.1 tarball from that
webpage instead of using the git HEAD everything would have been fine.
Patches can probably wait until 2.0 is officially released.

> > That's what I thought but I wasn't seeing any callbacks at all through
> > my ieee80211_ops pointers.  I did see the channel frequency change with
> > 'iwconfig wlan0', but no callbacks.  My fault, again, for not RTFM.  I
> > haven't gotten to the point yet on my driver where I expect 'ip link set
> > up dev wlan0' (or 'ifconfig wlan0 up', if you prefer) and now I see
> > that's why the config callback never happened.
>
> Ah. Yes, if the hw isn't started mac80211 won't try to configure it :)
>
> > If I had RTFM I might
> > have noticed adding 'commit' at the end of the iwconfig command would
> > have done it without the 'up'.
>
> No, it wouldn't, commit is pointless, don't worry about it, you'll never
> need to use it with mac80211.

When I reboot, modprobe the driver, and do 'iwconfig wlan0 channel 9
commit' the .config callback does run.  If I leave off the 'commit' it
does not.  I'm trying to validate as many callbacks as I can before
moving on to the next step, enabling the interface.

An additional question, if I may... Is wlan0 considered a "virtual
interface" or does that term only apply to additional interfaces created
with iw?  The whole vif thing has me a little confused.

Thanks for the help.

--
Dan

                          or over the web