Search Linux Wireless

Re: Access to ieee80211_conn_settings in the driver?

On 3/25/24 02:47, Johannes Berg wrote:
Hi Ben

I'm interested in getting access to ieee80211_conn_settings
struct in drivers.

My first instinct here is to say no. This thing was only introduced
recently, and it was ... difficult ... to do. I don't even want to
imagine I'd have had to worry about a whole bunch of drivers using it
for random purposes as well.

Specifically, so I can deal with disabling
160Mhz in mt76 even if peer is 160Mhz for instance, on a per-station vdev basis.

Not sure how that even makes sense? You have the min_def in the chandef
though, so you could do some bandwidth tricks there for AP side?

Actually, 160Mhz is bad example, but in case I want to pass other
association config info into the driver, like disabling as much of
OFDMA or MU-MIMO as possible.

No idea what that means ... I mean I guess we could add somewhere
(bss_conf?) a flag indicating "things" are needed, e.g. if you're
connecting 160 MHz is it VHT or HE or EHT, to set things accordingly?

From what I can tell, mt76 figures out to disable ofdma or similar
by looking at beacon IEs.  That is painful, but I guess it works.
But I want similar ability to tweak STA side connections without
resorting to debugfs or module param hacks.

Is this of general interest, and if so, any suggestions for you
you'd like to see it implemented?

I'd like to _not_ see it implemented :)

Ok, I'll keep it my private hacks.  I at least got it to compile copying
the conn_settings.  I'll get everything rebased and make sure it works.
To actually make it all work one needs to add a way to
send new flags down through netlink...I figure that part would face resistance
as well...

Thanks,
Ben

johannes