Search Linux Wireless

Re: iwlwifi - rfkill only works if the interface is up

On Mon, 01 Dec 2008, Marcel Holtmann wrote:
> if the hardware/firmware doesn't allow us to do so, we have no real
> option. I think that nobody thought about this use case so far. I am not
> sure if we should unregister it or just fix rfkill to add an invalid
> state. It is also possible to tie rfkill with ifup/ifdown.

Please don't register/unregister rfkill classes like that, it is extremely
broken from userspace's point-of-view, and it is not how the rfkill core
subsystem expects things to be used either.    If there is no way to avoid
register/unregister at interface up/down, it is better to never register any
rfkill classes at all, and remove the functionality.

Now, I hate when people use the term "rfkill switch" when dealing with the
kernel rfkill subsystem, because we can't really always be sure we
understood what the person means, so please bear with me...

Are you talking about the hardware rfkill line (the input pin where one
might have hooked an input device)?  Or about something else?

  Henrique Holschuh