Search Linux Wireless

Re: [RFC] mac80211: Enhancements to dynamic power save.

Tomas Winkler <tomasw@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 1, 2008 at 6:17 PM, Kalle Valo <kalle.valo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Johannes Berg <johannes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> One thing I forgot, do we need a special iwlwifi flag to turn this off?
>>> Or can iwlwifi be programmed to let the host handle this (*), which
>>> might be beneficial for interoperability and uniformity purposes?
>>
>> Having the null frame handling in firmware is faster and we might get
>> some power savings from that. But is the saving observable, that's an
>> another question :)
>
> This patch is not much relevant in actual saving , since this is the
> waking up part, you are powering the whole nic up anyway.

 I agree but with PM bit on-off, this is what one can do to reduce some power
 consumption although not significant. If more significant savings is needed,
 we may need to implement PS-POLL or the APSD mechanism. But this
 is a good start to power save in mac80211.

> The firmware handling of power save is more relevant in going to sleep
> phase and sustaining where decision about sending the null frame is
> faster then from host. The NIC is powered down in stages up to state
> where only slow clock is ticking so this is rather time sensitive

AFAIK, only iwlwifi has this firmware support and we need mac80211's
support in this for ath9k/ath5k,stlc45xx and b43. I believe a powerful
2GHz host processor can manage these timings as a Windows driver
for these vendor cards seems to support power save without firmware support.

--
Vivek.